No, not a visit to Ashburton Grove although does involve sport and indeed a visit to the venue of the first FA Cup Final 150 years ago. As an aside The Arsenal have won more FA Cups than anyone else. I meet Simon at Clapham North and coast down to the Oval where my work mate John meets us to give us free tickets and as a Surrey Member he gets us access to the Members Pavilion that hallowed place which to date I've only been able to see from the general access stands. Thanks John much indebted. We have a quick tour of the Pavilion with John then he goes down to block 24 as prefers to watch from there but Simon and I sit out the Surrey innings from high up in the pavilion. Surrounded by folk discussing financial instruments. Should have explained that it's a One Day 50 over Cup game against Kent, although after about 10 spots of rain fell start of play was delayed by a few minutes reducing this to a 49 over day. Ridiculous! As this is a music blog I won't give a full report on the cricket but Simon and I enjoyed our time in the pavilion before joining John in the sun for the Kent innings. A good days cricket which Surrey win as Kent were chasing quite a run rate after a while. Saying our thanks to John we two depart for Dalston for a tasty Turkish meal and then on to the Shacklewell Arms to meet Pete and then Gary. We're here for a free night of punk rock.
The first band are on so we go into the smallish back room for our ears and senses to be assaulted by Rampressure who play mainly very loud and harsh punk rock verging into metal. Much is straight up shouty punk rock but at times they do go off into a weirder vibe both vocally and musically. Not often a hard core band uses a steel finger slide. The crowd are enjoying it with a bit of jumping about. It's an odd crowd and many more oldies that my last gig at the George Tavern. Quite a few smartish looking folk here especially women sporting handbags who are getting well into the mosh mix (and again for ARSE) so I assume 70s smart disco look is a current east London alt look. There again I can't see anyone who looks like they've spent the day at the Oval Pavilion. Back to the band I did think them a bit metal but would like to see them again.
After a sojourn in the bar we're back in for the main attraction which is an Australian trio going by the glorious name of ARSE. They are pretty full on punk rock and again, as is the norm I guess, veering towards metal. I guess I never was into the metal side of punk despite me getting a ticket to see the last ever (allegedly) UK Subs gig in late 2027. I digress. ARSE keep us on our toes and for many that is literally as there's a fair sized (for the room) mosh pit with a lot of energetic dancing just occasionally threatening to involve myself but I resist and am content with the odd bump. Unlike the elderly photographer at the front who gives indignant looks to whoever bounces into him but what do you expect mate! The young uns, both ratty and smart looking are having a ball and it's infectious as everyone in the place seems to be enjoying the band. As the set goes on I realise that although everything is high energy and aggressive punk the songs do have their own vibe sometimes even slowing down. At least that gives the moshers a moments respite. God knows how they are coping but I'm dripping with sweat just standing here. The room is small with a low ceiling and although great for a packed atmosphere it gets damn hot. Maybe I'm not sweating but it's dripping off the ceiling onto me. Our singer guitarist asks if there are Aussies in the audience which seem to be the most energetic of the moshers and then he jumps into the crowd for a bit of guitar playing crowd surfing which we all appreciate. The bass and drums are bang on for a post punk hard core punk rock band (work that one out) with a good amount of bass distortion and a crashing guitar. It's a while since I've seen a couple of pure punk bands and I must see more. And not a whiff of jazz. Well, Rampressure did nearly fall into solos a couple of time but I think they are a London band whereas ARSE are unadulterated from that post punk leaning. We are treated to a one song encore and left with the bass hanging from a peg giving feedback and the guitarist trying to leave with feedback but his guitar has cut out. Ah well, it's more punk rock to finish with a big chord and leave the stage. Although difficult to leave this one as there is no back stage.
So a great day out and a cheap one with free cricket (thanks again John) and gig (thanks ARSE, I guess). We have an easier ride home straight down to the City and over London Bridge (we did a detour somewhat on the way up) and back home at a reasonable time.
 |
| View from the Pavilion |
 |
| One of the better photos in the Pavilion |
 |
| Simon, me, John |
 |
| Yay - you don't often see the drummer in this place! |
 |
| Rampressure |
 |
| ARSE crowd surfing |
 |
| ARSE (with moody photographer :-) |
No comments:
Post a Comment